Monday, March 12, 2018

12 March 2018 - St. Gregory the Great, P.C.D. and Feria II after Lent IV

St. Gregory the Great
Pope, Confessor, and Doctor of the Church
(Feria II after Lent IV)



INTROIT John. 21. 15-17

Simon Peter, if thou lovest me, feed my lambs, feed my sheep. Ps. 29.1. I will extol thee, O Lord, for thou hast upheld me: and hast not made mine enemies to rejoice over me. V.: Glory be.

COLLECT

O GOD, who didst bestow upon the soul of thy servant Gregory the rewards of eternal happiness; mercifully grant, that we who are oppressed by the weight of our sins, may be relieved through his intercession:

And then together under one ending:

COLLECT

O Almighty God, may we please thee with our bodies and our souls by keeping this yearly fast with devotion. Through.

EPISTLE I Peter 5.1-4, 10-11.

Dearly Beloved: The ancients that are among you, I beseech who am myself also an ancient and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as also a partaker of that glory which is to be revealed in time to come: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking care of it, not by constraint but willingly, according to God: not for filthy lucre's sake but voluntarily: Neither as lording it over the clergy but being made a pattern of the flock from the heart. And when the prince of pastors shall appear, you shall receive a never fading crown of glory. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory in Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a little, will himself perfect you and confirm you and establish you. To him be glory and empire, for ever and ever. Amen.

Gradual Ps. 106.32, 31

Let them exalt him in the church of the people: and praise him in the chair of the ancients. V.: Let the mercies of the Lord give glory to him: and his wonderful works to the children of men.

Tract Ps. 39.10-11

I have declared thy justice in a great church, lo, I will not restrain my lips: O Lord, thou knowest it. V.: I have not hid thy justice within my heart: I have declared thy truth and thy salvation. V.: I have not concealed thy mercy and thy truth from a great council.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew 16.13-19

At that time, Jesus came into the quarters of Cesarea Philippi: and he asked his disciples, saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is? But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets. Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am? Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

OFFERTORY Jer. 1.9-10.

Behold I have given my words in thy mouth: lo, I have set thee over the nations, and over kingdoms, to root up, and to pull down, and to build, and to plant.

SECRET

VOUCHSAFE, O Lord, we beseech thee, that through the intercession of blessed Gregory, we may profit by this oblation of the Sacrifice which wrought for the whole world remission of sin.

Then together under one ending:

SECRET

May the Sacrifice that we offer thee, O Lord, always bring us new life and keep us from harm. Through.

COMMUNION Matt. 16.18.

Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church.

POSTCOMMUNION

O GOD, who didst make the blessed Pope Gregory rank in merit with thy Saints: mercifully grant that we who celebrate this festival in his memory may also follow in the example of his life.

Then together under one ending:

POSTCOMMUNION

O Lord, may the reception of thy Sacrament bring us ever nearer to our eternal redemption. Through.

LAST GOSPEL

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John 2.13-25

At that time, the pasch of the Jews was at hand: and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. And he found in the temple them that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting. And when he had made, as it were, a scourge of little cords, he drove them all out of the temple, the sheep also and the oxen: and the money of the changers he poured out, and the tables he overthrew. And to them that sold doves he said: Take these things hence, and make not the house of my Father a house of traffic. And his disciples remembered, that it was written: The zeal of thy house hath eaten me up. The Jews, therefore, answered, and said to him: What sign dost thou shew unto us, seeing thou dost these things? Jesus answered and said to them: Destroy this temple; and in three days I will raise it up. The Jews then said: Six and forty years was this temple in building; and wilt thou raise it up in three days? But he spoke of the temple of his body. When therefore he was risen again from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this: and they believed the scripture and the word that Jesus had said. Now when he was at Jerusalem, at the pasch, upon the festival day, many believed in his Name, seeing his signs which he did. But Jesus did not trust himself unto them: for that he knew all men, And because he needed not that any should give testimony of man: for he knew what was in man.


















No comments:

Post a Comment