Monday, February 23, 2015

24 February 2015 - Saint Mathias, Apostle (Feria III of Ember Week in Lent)


Double of the Second Class – Red 

INTROIT Ps. 138.17

THY friends, O God, are made exceeding honorable; their principality is exceedingly strengthened. Ps. 139.1. Lord, thou hast proved me and known me: Thou hast known my sitting down and my rising up. V. Glory be.

COLLECT

O GOD who didst join blessed Matthias to the company of thine Apostles, grant, we beseech thee, that through his intercession, we may ever be conscious of thy compassion and loving kindness towards us.

And then commemorate under one ending the Lenten feria as in the following mass below.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
Of the Saints and For the Quick and the Dead

EPISTLE Acts 1.15-26

IN those days, Peter rising up in the midst of the brethren, said: (now the number of persons together was about an hundred and twenty:) Men, brethren, the scripture must needs be fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost spoke be-fore by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who was the leader of them that apprehended Jesus: who was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. And he indeed hath possessed a field of the reward of iniquity, and being hanged, burst asunder in the midst: and all his bowels gushed out. And it became known to all the inhabitants of Jerusalem: so that the same field was called in their tongue, Haceldama, that is to say, The field of blood. For it is written in the book of Psalms: Let their habitation become desolate, and let there be none to dwell therein. And his bishopric let another take. Wherefore of these men who have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus came in and went out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, until the day wherein he was taken up from us, one of these must be made a witness with us of his resurrection. And they appointed two, Joseph, called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And praying, they said: Thou, Lord, who knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, To take the place of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas hath by transgression fallen, that he might go to his own place. And they gave them lots, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

GRADUAL Ps. 138.17-18

Thy friends, O God, are made exceedingly honorable: their principality is exceedingly strengthened. I will number them, and they shall be multiplied above the sand: I rose up and am still with thee.

TRACT Ps. 20.3-4

Thou hast given him his heart's desire: and hast not withholden from him the will of his lips. For thou hast prevented him with blessings of sweetness: thou hast set on his head a crown of precious stones.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew (11.25-30)

AT that time, Jesus answered, and said: I confess to thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them to the little ones. Yea, Father; for so hath it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered to me by my Father. And no one knoweth the Son, but the Father: neither doth any one know the Father, but the Son, and he to whom it shall please the Son to reveal him. Come to me, all you that labour, and are burdened, and I will refresh you. Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is sweet and my burden light. 

The Creed is said.

OFFERTORY Ps. 44.17-18

Thou shalt make them princes over all the earth: they shall remember thy name throughout all generations.

SECRET

O LORD, may the prayer of holy Matthias, thine Apostle, accompany the oblations which we dedicate to thy Name: and grant that through it we may be both forgiven and defended.

And then commemorate under one ending the Lenten feria as in the following mass below.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
Of the Saints and For the Quick and the Dead

PREFACE: Of the Apostles.

COMMUNION Matt. 19.28

You who have followed me shall sit on the seats judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

POSTCOMMUNION

GRANT, we beseech thee, almighty God, that by means of these holy mysteries which we received, through the intercession of blessed Matthias, thine Apostle, we may obtain pardon and peace.

And then commemorate under one ending the Lenten feria as in the following mass below.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
Of the Saints and For the Quick and the Dead

________________________________________


FERIA III OF 
EMBER WEEK IN LENT
Greater Non-Privileged Feria – Purple

INTROIT Ps. 89.1, 2 

O LORD, thou hast been our refuge through all generations; thou art from eternity to eternity. Ps. 89.2. Before the mountains were made, or the earth was formed, from eternity to eternity thou art God. V. Glory be.

The Gloria in Excelsis is not said. 

COLLECT
LOOK kindly upon thy household, O Lord. May the mortification of our bodies purify our minds also and make us de-sire thee. Through.

Commemoration: St. Mathias the Apostle

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

LESSON Isa. 55.6-11
IN those days, the prophet Isaias spoke, saying: Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, and giveth seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

GRADUAL Ps. 140.2
Let my prayer come like incense before thy sight, O Lord. V. The lifting up of my hands, like an evening sacrifice.
+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew (21.10-17)

AT that time, when Jesus was come into Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, Who is this? And the multitudes said, This is the prophet, Jesus, from Nazareth of Galilee. And Jesus entered into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money-changers, and the seats of them that sold the doves; and he saith unto them, It is written, my house shall be called a house of prayer: but ye make it a den of thieves. And the blind and the lame came to him in the temple: and he healed them. But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children that were crying in the temple and saying, Hosanna to the son of David; they were moved with indigna-tion, and said unto him, Hearest thou what these are saying? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea: did ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise? And he left them, and went forth out of the city to Bethany, and lodged there.
OFFERTORY Ps. 30.15-16 

I have placed my trust in thee, O Lord; I said, Thou art my God, my life is in thy hands.
SECRET 

O LORD, be moved to compassion by our offerings and shield us from all danger. Through.

Commemoration: St. Mathias the Apostle

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday
COMMUNION Ps. 4.2 

When I called upon thee, thou didst answer me, O my just God; when I was in distress, thou didst uphold me. Have pity on me, O Lord, and hear my prayer.

POSTCOMMUNION
ALMIGHTY God, grant that we may attain the salvation promised us through this Sacrament. Through.
SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday
PRAYER OVER THE PEOPLE 

LET our prayers come before thee, O Lord. Drive away all evil from thy Church. Through.

No comments:

Post a Comment