Sunday, February 22, 2015

23 February 2015 - Saint Peter Damian, Bishop, Confessor, & Doctor of the Church (Feria II of Ember Week in Lent and the Vigil of St. Mathias, Apostle)


Double - White

INTROIT Ecclus. 15.5.

In the midst of the Church he opened his mouth: and the Lord filled him with the spirit of wisdom and under-standing. Ps. 91.2. It is good to give praise to the Lord: and to sing to thy Name, O Most High. V.: Glory be.

COLLECT

Grant unto us, we beseech thee, O almighty God, so to follow the counsels and example of blessed Peter, thy Confessor and Bishop, that we may by despising earthly things, obtain everlasting joys.

And then under one ending, commemorate the Lenten feria as given in the mass below following the mass of the feast.

Commemoration: Vigil of St. Mathias, Apostle

Grant, we beseech thee, Almighty God: that we who on this day anticipate the feast of thy holy Apostle, blessed Mathias, may by the devout observance of the same increase in godliness to the attainment of everlasting salvation. Through.

EPISTLE II Tim. 4.1-8.

Dearly beloved, I charge thee, before God and Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead, by his coming, and his kingdom: preach the word: be instant in season, out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke in all patience and doctrine. For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: and will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables. But be thou vigilant, labour in all things, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill thy ministry. Be sober. For I am even now ready to be sacrificed: and the time of my dissolution is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. As to the rest, there is laid up for me a crown of justice, which the Lord, the just Judge, will render to me in that day: and not only to me, but to them also that love his coming.

Gradual Ps. 36.30-31.

The mouth of the just shall meditate wisdom, and his tongue shall speak judgement. V.: The law of his God is in his heart: and his steps shall not be supplanted.

Tract Ps. 111.1-3.

Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord: he shall delight exceedingly in his commandments. V:. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the righteous shall be blessed. V.: Glory and wealth shall be in his house: and his justice remaineth for ever and ever.

The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew (5.13-19.)

At that time, Jesus said to his disciples: You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house. So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. Do not think that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For amen I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one tittle shall not pass of the law, till all be fulfilled. He therefore that shall break one of these least commandments, and shall so teach men, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But he that shall do and teach, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

¶ The Creed is said in all masses of Doctors of the Church.

OFFERTORY Ps. 91.13.

The just shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow up, like the cedar of Libanus.

SECRET

May the holy prayer of Saint Peter, thy Bishop, Confessor and Doctor, fail us not, O Lord: may it render our offerings acceptable, and ever obtain for us thy pardon.

And then under one ending, commemorate the Lenten feria as given in the mass below following the mass of the feast.

Commemoration: Vigil of St. Mathias, Apostle

O Lord, who didst exalt thy blessed Saint Mathias to be numbered among thine Apostles: grant that we thy people, who on this day, anticipating his heavenly birth, do offer unto thee these holy mysteries, may be assisted by his intercession both in the making of our supplications before thee, and in the obtaining of all that we desire. Through.

Communion Luke 12.42.


The faithful and wise servant, whom his lord setteth over his family: to give them their measure of wheat in due season.

POSTCOMMUNION

We beseech thee, O Lord, that blessed Peter, thy Bishop, Confessor and illustrious Doctor may join his prayers to ours that this thy sacrifice may bring us salvation.

And then under one ending, commemorate the Lenten feria as given in the mass below following the mass of the feast.

Commemoration: Vigil of St. Mathias, Apostle

We beseech thee, O Lord, mercifully to hear the prayers of thy holy Apostle Mathias : that we may thereby obtain the pardon of our sins and the healing gifts of everlasting life. Through.


________________________________________

FERIA II
Ember Week in Lent

Greater Non-Privileged Feria – Purple

INTROIT Ps. 122.2

As the eyes of servants are on the hands of their masters, so are our eyes on the Lord, our God, until he have pity on us. Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us. Ps. 122.1. To thee, who art enthroned in heaven, have I lifted up mine eyes. V. Glory be.

The Gloria in Excelsis is not said. 

COLLECT

O Lord of our salvation, change our hearts and enlighten us by thy heavenly teachings, that this Lenten fast may be profitable to us. Through.

Commemorations: Of St. Peter Damian and the Vigil of St. Mathias

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

LESSON Ezech. 34.11-16

For thus saith the Lord God: Behold I myself will seek my sheep, and will visit them. As the shepherd visiteth his flock in the day when he shall be in the midst of his sheep that were scattered, so will I visit my sheep, and will deliver them out of all the places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day. And I will bring them out from the peoples, and will gather them out of the countries, and will bring them to their own land: and I will feed them in the mountains of Israel, by the rivers, and in all the habitations of the land. I will feed them in the most fruitful pastures, and their pastures shall be in the high mountains of Israel: there shall they rest on the green grass, and be fed in fat pastures upon the mountains of Israel. I will feed my sheep: and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord God. I will seek that which was lost: and that which was driven away, I will bring again: and I will bind up that which was broken, and I will strengthen that which was weak, and that which was fat and strong I will preserve, and I will feed them in judgment, saith the Lord Almighty.

GRADUAL Ps. 83.10, 9

Behold our protector, O God, and look upon thy servants. V. O Lord, God of hosts, hear the prayers of thy servants.

TRACT Ps. 102.10; 78.8-9

O Lord, repay us not according to the sins we have committed, nor according to our iniquities. V. O Lord, remember not our iniquities of the past; let thy mercy come quickly to us, for we are being brought very low. (All Kneel.)
V. Help us, O God our Savior, and for the glory of thy Name, O Lord, deliver us; and pardon us our sins for thy Name’s sake.

The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew (25.31-46)

At that time, Jesus said to his disciples, And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty. And all nations shall be gathered together before him: and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left. Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry and fed thee: thirsty and gave thee drink? Or when did we see thee a stranger and took thee in? Or naked and covered thee? Or when did we see thee sick or in prison and came to thee? And the king answering shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me. Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, which was prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty and you gave me not to drink. I was a stranger and you took me not in: naked and you covered me not: sick and in prison and you did not visit me. Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and did not minister to thee? Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen: I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.

OFFERTORY Ps. 118.18, 26, 73

I will lift up mine eyes and consider thy wondrous deeds, O Lord, that thou mayest teach me thy way of justice. Give me understanding that I may learn thy commandments.

SECRET

Bless these gifts we offer thee, O Lord. May they cleanse us from the stain of our sins. Through.

Commemorations: Of St. Peter Damian and the Vigil of St. Mathias

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

COMMUNION Matt. 25.40, 34

Amen I say to you, whatever you did for one of these, the least of my brethren, you did for me. Come, blessed of my Father, take possession of the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

POSTCOMMUNION

O Lord, may the banquet of salvation, of which we have partaken with joy, bring us a new life. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

PRAYER OVER THE PEOPLE

Free us from the slavery of our sins, O Lord, and mercifully shield us from the punishments these sins deserve. Through.

No comments:

Post a Comment