Thursday, March 17, 2016

18 March 2016 - The Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Feria VI of Passion Week; Commemoration of St. Cyril of Jerusalem)




Greater Double – White or Marian Blue

¶ This feast is observed on the Friday of Passion Week. The ferial mass of this day is given thereafter.

INTROIT John 19.25

THERE stood by the Cross of Jesus his Mother and his Mother's sister, Mary of Cleophas, and Salome, and Mary Magda-lene. V. Woman, behold thy Son, Jesus said; and to the disciple, Behold, thy Mother. V. Glory be.

COLLECT

O GOD, in thy passion, the prophecy of Simeon was fulfilled that a sword of sorrow should pierce the sweet soul of thy glorious Virgin-Mother Mary. We reverently recall her suffer-ings and sorrow; mercifully grant us the fruits of the redemption that was paid for by thine own sufferings, through the merits and prayers of all the saints watching beside the Cross; (who livest and reignest.)

COMMEMORATION: Of Friday of Passion Week

O LORD, fill our hearts with thy grace so that we may avoid sin through our voluntary penance. May we suffer here in this life rather than be con-demned to punishment in eter-nity. Through.

Commemoration: St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop, Confessor, & Doctor of the Church

Grant us, we beseech thee, O almighty God, by the intercession of the blessed Bishop Cyril, so to know thee, the one true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent that we may be accounted worthy to be numbered for evermore among the sheep who hearken to his voice. Through the same.
SEASONAL COLLECT
Against the Persecutors of the Church

LESSON Judith 13.22, 23-25

THE Lord hath blessed thee by his power, because by thee he hath brought our enemies to nought. Blessed art thou, O daughter, by the Lord the most high God, above all women upon the earth. Blessed be the Lord who made heaven and earth, who hath directed thee to the cutting off the head of the prince of our enemies. Because he hath so magnified thy name this day, that thy praise shall not depart out of the mouth of men who shall be mindful of the power of the Lord for ever, for that thou hast not spared thy life, by reason of the distress and tribulation of thy people, but hast prevented our ruin in the presence of our God.

GRADUAL

Thou art sorrowful and tearful, O Virgin Mary, standing by the Cross of the Lord Jesus, thy Son, our Redeemer. V. O Virgin Mother of God, he whom the whole world cannot contain, the author of life who was made man, beareth this punishment of the Cross.

TRACT

By the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ stood the sorrowing Holy Mary, the Queen of Heaven and the Mistress of the world.

V. Look, all ye who pass by, and see if there is any sorrow like unto mine.

SEQUENCE – Stabat Mater

At the Cross her station keep-ing, stood the mournful other weeping, close to Jesus to the last.
Through her heart, his sorrow sharing, all his bitter anguish bearing, now at length the sword had passed.
Oh how sad and sore dis-tressed was that mother highly blessed, of the sole-begotten One!
Christ above in torment hangs; she beneath beholds the pangs of her dying glorious Son.

Is there one who would not weep, whelmed in miseries so deep;
Christ's dear Mother to be-hold?
Can the human heart refrain
from partaking in her pain,
in that Mother's pain untold?

For the sins of his own nation saw him hang in desolation, all with bloody scourges rent.
Bruised, derided, cursed, de-filed, she beheld her tender child, till his Spirit forth he sent.
O, thou Mother, fount of love, touch my spirit from above, make my heart with thine accord.
Make me feel as thou has felt; make my soul to glow and melt with the love of Christ our Lord.

Holy Mother, pierce me through; in my heart each wound renew of my Saviour crucified.
Let met share with thee his pain, who for all my sins was slain, who for me in torments died.
Let me mingle tears with thee, mourning him who mourned for me, all the days that I may live.
By the Cross with thee to stay, there with thee to weep and pray, this I ask of thee to give.

Virgin, of all virgins blest,
O refuse not my request:
let me in thy weeping share
Let me, to my latest breath,
in my body bear the death
of that dying Son of thine.

Wounded with his every wound, steep my soul till it hath swooned in his very blood away.
Be to me, O Virgin, nigh,
lest in flames I burn and die,
in that awful judgment day.
Christ, when thou shalt call me hence, be thy mother my de-fense, be thy Cross my victory.
While my body here decays,
may my soul thy goodness praise, safe in Paradise with thee. Amen.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John (19.25-27)

AT that time, there stood by the Cross of Jesus, his mother and his mother's sister, Mary of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalen. When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple stand-ing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.

The Creed is said.

OFFERTORY Jer. 18.20

Remember, O Virgin Mother, to speak good things in our behalf before the face of God, that he may turn away his anger from us.

SECRET
O LORD Jesus Christ, we offer thee our prayers and sacrifices. May we, who com-memorate the piercing of the sweet soul of the Blessed Mary, thy Mother, share the reward of the saints through her loving and constant intercession and the prayers of those who stood with her beside the Cross, as well as through thine own meritorious death; (who livest and reignest.)

COMMEMORATION: Of Friday of Passion Week

O MERCIFUL God, may we always serve worthily at thine altar, and be saved by partaking continually of its gifts. Through.

Commemoration: St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop, Confessor, & Doctor of the Church

Look down, O Lord, upon the spotless victim we offer to thee: and grant that by the merits of blessed Cyril, thy confessor and bishop, we may ever strive to receive it into a clean heart. Through.
SEASONAL COLLECT
Against the Persecutors of the Church

PREFACE: Of the Blessed Virgin, with In the Transfixion.

COMMUNION
Happy the Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, who without dying earned the palm of martyrdom beneath the Cross of our Lord.

POSTCOMMUNION

O LORD Jesus Christ, may this Sacrifice which we have received in memory of the sorrows of thy Virgin-Mother ob-tain for us from thy mercy every grace and help; (who livest and reignest.)

COMMEMORATION: Of Friday of Passion Week

O LORD, protect us always by the Sacrament we have received, and shield us against all that is harmful. Through.

Commemoration: St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop, Confessor, & Doctor of the Church

O Lord Jesus Christ, may the sacrament of thine own Body and Blood which we have received, sanctify our minds and hearts, through the prayers of the holy bishop Cyril, and thereby make us worthy to become partakers of the divine nature. Who livest and reignest.

SEASONAL COLLECT
Against the Persecutors of the Church

__________________________________

FRIDAY OF PASSION WEEK
Greater Non-Privileged Feria – Purple

INTROIT Ps. 30.10,16,18.

HAVE mercy on me, O Lord, for man hath trodden me under foot; all the day long he hath afflicted me fighting against me. V. Mine enemies have trodden on me all the day long; for they are many that make war against me. V. Have mercy.

COLLECT

SANCTIFY our fasts, we beseech thee, O Lord and in thy mercy grant us pardon for all our sins. Through.

COMMEMORATION:
Of the Seven Sorrows as at the above mass.

SEASONAL COLLECT
Against the Persecutors of the Church

LESSON Jer. 17.13-18.

IN those days: Jeremiah said: O Lord, all that forsake thee shall be confounded: they that depart from thee, shall be written in the earth: because they have forsaken the Lord, the vein of living waters. Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed: save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. Behold they say to me: Where is the word of the Lord? let it come. And I am not trou-bled, following thee for my pas-tor, and I have not desired the day of man, thou knowest. That which went out of my lips, hath been right in thy sight. Be not thou a terror unto me, thou art my hope in the day of affliction. Let them be confounded that per-secute me, and let not me be con-founded: let them be afraid, and let not me be afraid: bring upon them the day of affliction, and with a double destruction, destroy them.

GRADUAL Ps. 34.20,22.

Mine enemies spoke peaceably to me: and in anger they were trou-blesome to me. Thou hast seen, O Lord, be not thou silent: depart not from me.

TRACT Ps. 102.10

He hath not dealt with us accord-ing to our sins: nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. V. Ps. 78.8,9 Remember not our former iniquities: let thy mercies speedily prevent us, for we are become ex-ceeding poor. (All kneel.) V. Help us, O God, our savior : and for the glory of thy Name, O Lord, deliver us : and forgive us our sins for thy Name's sake.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John (11.47-54)

AT that time: The chief priests, therefore, and the Pharisees gathered a council and said: What do we, for this man doth many miracles? If we let him alone so, all will believe in him; and the Romans will come, and take away our place and na-tion. But one of them, named Caiphas, being the high priest that year, said to them: You know nothing. Neither do you consider that it is expedient for you that one man should die for the people and that the whole na-tion perish not. And this he spoke not of himself: but being the high priest of that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for the na-tion. And not only for the nation, but to gather together in one the children of God that were dis-persed. From that day therefore they devised to put him to death. Wherefore Jesus walked no more openly among the Jews: but he went into a country near the de-sert, unto a city that is called Ephrem. And there he abode with his disciples.

OFFERTORY Ps. 118.12,121,42.

Blessed art thou, O Lord, teach me thy justifications; and give me not up to the proud that slander me: and so shall I answer them that reproach me in anything.

SECRET

GRANT us, O Lord our God, that this saving victim may become the expiation of our sins, and a propitiation with thy maj-esty. Through.

COMMEMORATION: Of the Seven Sorrows of the B.V.M.

SEASONAL COLLECT
Against the Persecutors of the Church

COMMUNION Ps. 23.10

The Lord of Hosts, he is the King of glory.

POSTCOMMUNION

MAY the saving reception of thy sacrament, we beseech thee, O Lord, grant us both purification and healing. Through.

COMMEMORATION: Of the Seven Sorrow of the B.V.M.

SEASONAL COLLECT
Against the Persecutors of the Church

PRAYER OVER THE PEOPLE

GRANT to thy people, we beseech thee, O Lord, health of soul and body that, devoted to good works, they may ever deserve to be defended by thy protection. Through.

No comments:

Post a Comment