Friday, March 11, 2016

12 March 2016 - Saint Gregory the Great, Pope, Confessor, & Doctor of the Church (Saturday after Lent IV)


Double - White

N.b.  Passiontide begins at Vespers this day. After None, all crosses, icons, and statues are either removed or veiled in purple prior to Vespers. 

N.b. Vespers is of Passion Sunday with commemoration of the feast. The Gloria Patri is removed in all offices and masses of the Season during Passiontide. 

INTROIT John. 21. 15-17

Simon Peter, if thou lovest me, feed my lambs, feed my sheep. Ps. 29.1. I will extol thee, O Lord, for thou hast upheld me: and hast not made mine enemies to rejoice over me. V.: Glory be.

COLLECT

O God, who didst bestow upon the soul of thy servant Gregory the rewards of eternal happiness; mercifully grant, that we who are oppressed by the weight of our sins, may be relieved through his intercession: 

And then under one ending, commemorate the Lenten feria as in the following mass. 

EPISTLE I Peter 5.1-4, 10-11.

Dearly Beloved: The ancients that are among you, I beseech who am myself also an ancient and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as also a partaker of that glory which is to be revealed in time to come: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking care of it, not by constraint but willingly, according to God: not for filthy lucre's sake but voluntarily: Neither as lording it over the clergy but being made a pattern of the flock from the heart. And when the prince of pastors shall appear, you shall receive a never fading crown of glory. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory in Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a little, will himself perfect you and confirm you and establish you. To him be glory and empire, for ever and ever. Amen.

Gradual Ps. 106.32, 31

Let them exalt him in the church of the people: and praise him in the chair of the ancients. V.: Let the mercies of the Lord give glory to him: and his wonderful works to the children of men.

Tract Ps. 39.10-11

I have declared thy justice in a great church, lo, I will not restrain my lips: O Lord, thou knowest it. V.: I have not hid thy justice within my heart: I have declared thy truth and thy salvation. V.: I have not concealed thy mercy and thy truth from a great council.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew (16.13-19)

At that time, Jesus came into the quarters of Cesarea Philippi: and he asked his disciples, saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is? But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets. Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am? Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

OFFERTORY Jer. 1.9-10.

Behold I have given my words in thy mouth: lo, I have set thee over the nations, and over kingdoms, to root up, and to pull down, and to build, and to plant.

SECRET

Vouchsafe, O Lord, we beseech thee, that through the intercession of blessed Gregory, we may profit by this oblation of the Sacrifice which wrought for the whole world remission of sin. 

And then under one ending, commemorate the Lenten feria as in the following mass. 

COMMUNION Matt. 16.18.

Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church. 

POSTCOMMUNION

O God, who didst make the blessed Pope Gregory rank in merit with thy Saints: mercifully grant that we who celebrate this festival in his memory may also follow in the example of his life. 

And then under one ending, commemorate the Lenten feria as in the following mass. 

__________________________

SATURDAY AFTER THE FOURTH SUNDAY IN LENT
Greater Non-Priv. Feria – Rose/Purple 

INTROIT Isa. 55.1

All you who thirst, come to the waters, saith the Lord, and you who have no money, come and drink with joy. Ps. 55.1. Hearken, my people, to my law; incline your ears to the words of my mouth. V. Glory be.

COLLECT

O Lord, may thy grace bring us the fruitful effects of our devoted love, for the Lenten fast that we observe will be of profit to us only if it pleaseth thee. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

LESSON Isa. 49.8-15

Thus saith the Lord: In an acceptable time I have heard thee, and in the day of salvation I have helped thee: and I have preserved thee, and given thee to be a covenant of the people, that thou mightest raise up the earth, and possess the inheritances that were destroyed: That thou mightest say to them that are bound: Come forth: and to them that are in darkness: Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in every plain. They shall not hunger, nor thirst, neither shall the heat nor the sun strike them: for he that is merciful to them, shall be their shepherd, and at the fountains of waters he shall give them drink. And I will make all my mountains a way, and my paths shall be exalted. Behold these shall come from afar, and behold these from the north and from the sea, and these from the south country. Give praise, O ye heavens, and rejoice, O earth, ye mountains, give praise with jubilation: because the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy on his poor ones. And Sion said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and the Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her infant, so as not to have pity on the son of her womb? and if she should forget, yet will not I forget thee, says the Lord almighty.

GRADUAL Ps. 9.14, 1-2

The poor man is dependent upon thee, O Lord; thou art the helper of the fatherless. V. Why, O Lord, dost thou stand aloof? Why disdain us in time of distress? While the wicked man is puffed up, the needy man is consumed.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John (8.12-20)

At that time, Jesus spoke to the multitudes of Jews, saying: I am the light of the world. He that followeth me walketh not in darkness, but shall have the light of life. The Pharisees therefore said to him: Thou givest testimony of thyself. Thy testimony is not true. Jesus answered and said to them: Although I give testimony of myself, my testimony is true: for I know whence I came and whither I go. You judge according to the flesh: I judge not any man. And if I do judge, my judgment is true: because I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. And in your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true. I am one that give testimony of myself: and the Father that sent me giveth testimony of me. They said therefore to him: Where is thy Father? Jesus answered: Neither me do you know, nor my Father. If you did know me, perhaps you would know my Father also. These words Jesus spoke in the treasury, teaching in the temple: and no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come.

OFFERTORY Ps. 17.3

The Lord is my support, my refuge, and my deliverer; in him I will place my trust.

SECRET

Accept our gifts as a peace offering, O Lord, and by the constraint of thy mercy make our rebellious wills submit to thee. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

COMMUNION Ps. 22.1-2

The Lord ruleth over me, I shall want for nothing. He hath set me in a place of pasture; he hath led me to refreshing waters.

POSTCOMMUNION
We pray thee, O Lord, purify us through this Sacrament and make us pleasing to thee by its grace. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

PRAYER OVER THE PEOPLE

O God, it is thy will to show mercy rather than anger to those who trust in thee. May we have proper sorrow for our sins so that we may be worthy of thy comfort. Through.

No comments:

Post a Comment