Tuesday, June 2, 2015

3 June 2015 - Mass of the Dead on the First Ferial Day of June


Feria - Black

INTROIT IV Esdr. 2.34-35

Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. Ps. 64.2-3. A hymn, O God, becometh thee in Sion; and a vow shall be paid to thee in Jerusalem: hear my prayer; all flesh shall come to thee. ¶ Then repeat the Introit up to the Psalm. The Gloria Patri is not said.

COLLECT

O God, the Creator and Redeemer of all the faithful: grant to the souls of thy servants and handmaidens the remission of all their sins: that through pious supplications, they may obtain the pardon which they always desired.

LESSON Apoc. 14.13.

In those days: I heard a voice from heaven, saying to me: Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. From henceforth now, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors. For their works follow them.

GRADUAL IV Esdr. 2.34,35

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon them. V. Ps. 111.7. The just shall be in everlasting remembrance; he shall not fear the evil hearing.

TRACT

Absolve, O Lord, the souls of all the faithful departed from every bond of sin. And by the help of thy grace, may they be enabled to escape the avenging judgment and enjoy the bliss of everlasting light.

SEQUENCE

Day of Wrath and doom impeding, « David's word with Sibyl's blending. « Heaven and earth in ashes ending.

O what fear man's bosom rendeth « When from heaven the Judge descendeth, « On whose sentence all dependeth.

Wondrous sound the trumpet flingeth, « Through earth's sepulchers it ringeth, « All before the throne it bringeth.

Death is struck, and nature quaking, « All creation is awaking, « To its Judge an answer making.

Lo, the book exactly worded, « Wherein all hath been recorded, « Thence shall judgment be awarded.

When the Judge his seat attaineth, « And each hidden deed arraigneth, « Nothing unavenged remaineth.

What shall I, frail man, be pleading? « Who for me be interceding, « When the just are mercy needing?

King of majesty tremendous, « Who dost free salvation send us, « Fount of pity, then befriend us.

Think, kind Jesus, my salvation « Caused thy wondrous Incarnation, « Leave me not to reprobation.

Faint and weary thou hast sought me, « On the Cross of suffering bought me, « Shall such grace be vainly brought me?

Righteous Judge, for sin's pollution « Grant thy gift of absolution, « Ere that day of retribution.

Guilty now I pour my moaning, « All my shame with anguish owning, « Spare, O God, thy suppliant groaning.

Through the sinful woman shriven, « Through the dying theif forgiven, « Thou to me a hope hast given.

Worthless are my prayers and sighing, « Yet, good Lord, in grace complying, « Rescue me from fires undying.

With thy sheep a place provide me, « From the goats afar divide me, « To thy right hand do thou guide me.

When the wicked are confounded, « Doomed to flames of woe unbounded, « Call me with thy Saints surrounded.

Low I kneel with heart's submission, « See, like ashes, my contrition, « Help me in my last condition.

Ah! that day of tears and mourning, « From the dust of earth returning.

Man for judgment must prepare him, « Spare, O God, in mercy spare him.

Lord all pitying, Jesus blest, « Grant them thine eternal rest. Amen.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John (6.51-55)

At that time: Jesus said unto the multitudes of the Jews: I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.

OFFERTORY

O Lord Jesus Christ, King of glory, deliver the souls of all the faithful departed from the pains of hell and from the bottomless pit: « deliver them from the lion's mouth, that hell swallow them not up, that they fall not into darkness, but let the standard bearer holy Michael lead them into that light: « Which thou didst promise of old Abraham and to his seed. We offer to thee, O Lord, sacrifices and prayers: « Do thou receive them on behalf of those souls of whom we make memorial this day. Grant them, O Lord, to pass from death to that life, « Which thou didst promise of old to Abraham and his seed.

SECRET

Mercifully regard, we beseech thee, O Lord, the Sacrifice which we offer thee for the souls of thy servants and handmaidens: that to those to whom thou didst grant the favor of the Christian Faith thou wouldst also grant due reward. Through.

Preface: Of the Dead.

COMMUNION IV Esdr. 2.35,34.

May light enternal shine upon them, O Lord, with thy Saints for evermore; for thou art gracious. V. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon them: with thy Saints for evermore, for thou art gracious.

POSTCOMMUNION

May the prayer for thy suppliant people, we beseech thee, O Lord, avail the souls of thy servants and handmaidens: that thou mayest deliver them from all their sins and make them sharers in thy Redemption: Who livest and reignest.

¶ The Dismissal is Requiescant in Pace (May they rest in peace), and the response is Amen. The blessing is not given.

No comments:

Post a Comment