Wednesday, August 13, 2014

14 August 2014 - Vigil of the Assumption (and within the Octave of St. Lawrence, Commemoration of St. Eusebius)


Note: The mass of the Octave is as on the feast day, with commemoration of the Vigil and St. Eusebius. The Offices are of the Saint and of the Vigil without mention of the Octave. 

Vigil of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Minor Vigil – Purple

INTROIT Ps. 44.13,15,16

All the rich among the people shall entreat thy countenance: after her shall virgins be brought to the King: her companions shall be brought to thee in gladness and rejoicing. Ps. 44.2. My heart hath uttered a good word: I speak my works to the King. V. Glory be.

¶ The Gloria in Excelsis is not said.

COLLECT

O God, who didst vouchsafe to choose for thy dwelling the virginal womb of blessed Mary: grant, we beseech thee, that safe under her protection, we may assist with joy at her solemn feast: Who livest and reignest.


Commemoration: Of St. Eusebius

O God, who sendest us joy year by year on the feast of blessed Eusebius, thy Confessor, which we are now keeping: mercifully grant on this day of his heavenly birth that we may grow like him in deed. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECT
Of the Holy Spirit

EPISTLE Ecclus. 24.23-31

As the vine I have brought forth a pleasant odor, and my flowers are the fruit of honor and riches. I am the mother of fair love, and of fear, and of knowledge, and of holy hope. In me is all grace of the way and of the truth, in me is all hope of life and of virtue. Come over to me, all ye that desire me, and be filled with my fruits; for my spirit is sweet above honey, and my inheritance above honey and the honey-comb. My memory is unto everlasting generations. They that eat me, shall yet hunger: and they that drink me, shall yet thirst. He that heakeneth to me, shall not be confounded, and they that work by me, shall not sin. They that explain me, shall have life everlasting.

GRADUAL

Blessed and venerable art thou, O Virgin Mary: who without blemish to thy maidenhood, wast made the Mother of the Savior. V. O Virgin, Mother of God, he whom the whole world cannot contain, enclosed himself in thy womb, being made man.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke (11.27-28)

At that time, as Jesus was speaking to the multitudes, a certain woman from the crowd, lifting up her voice from the crowd, lifting up her voice, said to him: Blessed is the womb that bore thee and the paps that gave thee suck. But he said: Yea rather, blessed are they who hear the word of God and keep it.

OFFERTORY

Blessed art thou, O Virgin Mary, who didst bear the Creator of all things: thou didst bring forth him who made thee, and for ever remainest a virgin.

SECRET

May our offerings, O Lord, be commended to thy mercy through the prayer of the Mother of God, whom thou didst take from this world that she might confidently plead with thee for us sinners. Through the same.

Commemoration: Of St. Eusebius

In memory of thy Saints, O Lord, we offer thee the sacrifice of praise by which we trust to be freed from both present and future evil. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECT
Of the Holy Spirit

COMMUNION

Blessed is the womb of the Virgin Mary, which bore the Son of the eternal Father

POSTCOMMUNION

Grant, O merciful God, aid to our weakness, that we who are looking forward to the festival of the holy Mother of God, may by the help of her prayers rise again from our iniquities. Through the same.

Commemoration: Of St. Eusebius

Refreshed by meat and drink from heaven, O God, we humbly entreat thee that we may be protected by the prayers of him in whose memory we have partaken. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECT
Of the Holy Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment