Friday, March 20, 2015

21 March 2015 - Feast of Saint Benedict the Abbot (Saturday after Lent IV)


Greater Double - White

Nota bene: Passiontide begins at Vespers this day. After None and prior to Vespers, all crosses and images should be veiled in purple or removed. During Passiontide, the Gloria Patri is omitted from masses of the season.

INTROIT Ps. 36.30-31.

The mouth of the just shall meditate wisdom and his tongue shall speak judgement: the law of his God is in his heart. Ps. 36.1. Be not emulous of evildoers: nor envy them that work iniquity. V.: Glory be.

COLLECT

May the intercession of the blessed abbot Benedict, commend us, we beseech thee, O Lord, that what we cannot attain by our own deserts we may attain through his patronage. 

And then under one ending commemorate the Lenten feria as in the mass below.

LESSON Ecclus. 45.1-6.

Beloved of God, and men: whose memory is in benediction. He made him like the saints in glory, and magnified him in the fear of his enemies, and with his words he made prodigies to cease. He glorified him in the sight of kings, and gave him commandments in the sight of his people, and shewed him his glory. He sanctified him in his faith, and meekness, and chose him out of all flesh. For he heard him, and his voice, and brought him into a cloud. And he gave him commandments before his face, and a law of life and instruction.

GRADUAL Ps. 20.4-5.

Lord, thou hast prevented him with blessings of sweetness: thou hast set on his head a crown of precious stones. V.: He asked life of thee, and thou hast given him length of days for ever and ever.

Tract Ps. 111.1-3.

Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord: he shall delight exceedingly in his commandments. V:. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the righteous shall be blessed. V.: Glory and wealth shall be in his house: and his justice remaineth for ever and ever.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew (19.27-29)

At that time, Peter said to Jesus: Behold we have left all things, and have followed thee: what therefore shall we have? And Jesus said to them: Amen, I say to you, that you, who have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit on the seat of his majesty, you also shall sit on twelve seats, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my Name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall possess life everlasting.

OFFERTORY Ps. 20.3-4.

Thou hast given him his heart's desire, O Lord, and hast not withholden from him the will of his lips: Thou hast set on his head a crown of precious stones.

SECRET

May the holy Abbot, Benedict, we beseech thee, O Lord, pray that the sacrifices laid upon the sacred altars may avail for our salvation. 

And then under one ending commemorate the Lenten feria as in the mass below.

Communion Luke 12.42.

The faithful and wise servant,
whom his lord setteth over his family, to give them their measure of wheat in due season.

POSTCOMMUNION

Together with the reception of thy sacrament, O Lord, may the blessed abbot Benedict protect us by interceding for us, that we may put into practice the virtues of his life and partake of the power of his intercession.

And then under one ending commemorate the Lenten feria as in the mass below.


_____________________________

SATURDAY AFTER THE
FOURTH SUNDAY IN LENT
Greater Non-Priv. Feria – Rose/Purple

INTROIT Isa. 55.1

All you who thirst, come to the waters, saith the Lord, and you who have no money, come and drink with joy. Ps. 55.1. Hearken, my people, to my law; incline your ears to the words of my mouth. V. Glory be.

COLLECT

O Lord, may thy grace bring us the fruitful effects of our devoted love, for the Lenten fast that we observe will be of profit to us only if it pleaseth thee. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

LESSON Isa. 49.8-15

Thus saith the Lord: In an acceptable time I have heard thee, and in the day of salvation I have helped thee: and I have preserved thee, and given thee to be a covenant of the people, that thou mightest raise up the earth, and possess the inheritances that were destroyed: That thou mightest say to them that are bound: Come forth: and to them that are in darkness: Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in every plain. They shall not hunger, nor thirst, neither shall the heat nor the sun strike them: for he that is merciful to them, shall be their shepherd, and at the fountains of waters he shall give them drink. And I will make all my mountains a way, and my paths shall be exalted. Behold these shall come from afar, and behold these from the north and from the sea, and these from the south country. Give praise, O ye heavens, and rejoice, O earth, ye mountains, give praise with jubilation: because the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy on his poor ones. And Sion said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and the Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her infant, so as not to have pity on the son of her womb? and if she should forget, yet will not I forget thee, says the Lord almighty.

GRADUAL Ps. 9.14, 1-2

The poor man is dependent upon thee, O Lord; thou art the helper of the fatherless. V. Why, O Lord, dost thou stand aloof? Why disdain us in time of distress? While the wicked man is puffed up, the needy man is consumed.

+ The Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John (8.12-20)

At that time, Jesus spoke to the multitudes of Jews, saying: I am the light of the world. He that followeth me walketh not in darkness, but shall have the light of life. The Pharisees therefore said to him: Thou givest testimony of thyself. Thy testimony is not true. Jesus answered and said to them: Although I give testimony of myself, my testimony is true: for I know whence I came and whither I go. You judge according to the flesh: I judge not any man. And if I do judge, my judgment is true: because I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. And in your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true. I am one that give testimony of myself: and the Father that sent me giveth testimony of me. They said therefore to him: Where is thy Father? Jesus answered: Neither me do you know, nor my Father. If you did know me, perhaps you would know my Father also. These words Jesus spoke in the treasury, teaching in the temple: and no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come.

OFFERTORY Ps. 17.3

The Lord is my support, my refuge, and my deliverer; in him I will place my trust.

SECRET

Accept our gifts as a peace offering, O Lord, and by the constraint of thy mercy make our rebellious wills submit to thee. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

COMMUNION Ps. 22.1-2

The Lord ruleth over me, I shall want for nothing. He hath set me in a place of pasture; he hath led me to refreshing waters.

POSTCOMMUNION

We pray thee, O Lord, purify us through this Sacrament and make us pleasing to thee by its grace. Through.

SEASONAL COLLECTS
As given before Ash Wednesday

PRAYER OVER THE PEOPLE

O God, it is thy will to show mercy rather than anger to those who trust in thee. May we have proper sorrow for our sins so that we may be worthy of thy comfort. Through.

No comments:

Post a Comment